torsdag den 25. september 2014

CopyKate

When I visited Paris I fell completely in love with this fantastic clutch from Kate Spade:
Kate Spade Marcelle clutch tutorial
A racing car clutch! But alas, it was way too expensive.

So I thought I might be able to make a "copy" myself. I had a metal box with a hinged lid, which Dear Hushand drilled a lot of tiny holes in the edge:
Kate Spade Marcelle clutch tutorial
He dryly noticed that it is the strangest things I ask for.

First I made a paper pattern, before cutting the fabric:
Kate Spade Marcelle clutch tutorial

The check patterned fabric is an eighties dress I would never (!) wear again:
Kate Spade Marcelle clutch tutorial
Take care the pattern fits the checks before you cut.

I chose to sew the fabric to the box, therefore all the tiny holes:
Kate Spade Marcelle clutch tutorial
And of course I sew with both black and white thread. You can also glue the fabric on, but I was afraid that it would neither look nice nor be durable.

The clutch also needs a lining inside. I chose green that matches my little car:
Kate Spade Marcelle clutch tutorial
Again I have made paper pattern for lid and bottom. The sides are just a straight strip.

Here I have pressed tape that is sticky on both sides, which I have cut into small pieces and distributed evenly:
Kate Spade Marcelle clutch tutorial

And done the same at the lid:
Kate Spade Marcelle clutch tutorial

And here is the finished result:
Kate Spade Marcelle clutch tutorial
Which I think is quite nice and usable.

And here is the inside of the clutch:
Kate Spade Marcelle clutch tutorial

My clutch holds my cell phone, lipstick, comb and a tiny purse. I decided to spray it thoroughly on the outside with silicone spray to avoid it being dirty.

4 kommentarer:

  1. Very clever! FLA ~

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you dear. :) I think it turned out pretty good.

      Slet
  2. Seriously great job, dear Sanne!!! I like that your version has a coloured car. It makes the wee vehicle standout all the more. Way to get creative and resourceful!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Thank you dear. :) I also like the coloured car much better.

      Slet

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...